Sunday 1 February 2015

Mr Selfridge



I am taking a well deserved hour to myself (well with my little man!) and catching up on last weeks Mr Selfridge before the new episode tonight.

The last few years have seen a real rise in popularity of the period drama, what with Downton Abby as well, these shows have dominated the broadcast for a good few years now. I personally love them, and anyone who has any genuine interest in fashion cannot fail to at least appreciate them! The costumes are incredible and as we all know fashion goes in cycles! Nothing is truly new these days designers are always pulling inspiration from eras gone by! 

So I was literally struck dumb when a girl said to me recently that these shows are 'for old people'! I honestly think I sat their with my mouth open! Now I am only 26, hardly ancient but I can look at these programmes and see how the history of them has shaped how we live today especially the fashions! I don't understand how people cannot realise that the history of fashion is just as important as what Chanel is sending down the catwalk this season! 

And let's be honest even if it is dramatised Mr Selfridge is about one of the most iconic stores in London! How can a fashion marketing student not find that a little interesting? 

No comments:

Post a Comment